Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Final!!!

Gas prices put a strain on springtime play lists.
"I don't think I will be going out as much as I would like to ." Said Jerry Green a resident of Lehi. "It is just too expensive when Diesel is over $4 dollars a gallon. That is just to fill the truck, that doesn't include the toys!"
Martha Hammond stated another worry for senior citizens.
"It is ridiculous and outrageous to expect people with a fixed income to have to pay these prices. I am not getting any raises on my social security but I am supposed to pay out more and more. I just can't afford it!" Hammond said.
What is it that is driving up the prices of gas? The excuses are many and varied, ranging from needed repairs on existing refineries; the fact that no new refinery has been allowed to be built in thirty years, and the dependency on foreign oil and where it is located (Iraq, Iran, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia to name a few).
One quote from a notable businessman has brought a shadow of doubt on all of these claims however.
"If I ever need some extra money to work with all I have to do is raise the price of gas by one or two cents for a month and I have the one or two million that I need."
With that kind of a statement how can the oil companies possibly deny price gouging when their record 11 billion profits over a quarter state a different response? How much more can the American people put up with before they decide to do something about it?
People are on the verge of taking drastic measures into their own hands. Whether that is by means of a simple protest, or an all out lockdown as truckers did for two days around the first of April. What would happen if an entire group of people (lets stick with truckers) decided to shut down for one week? If there were no trucks at all on the road for one week what would the state of affairs be in each state? That time may not be too far off judging from the response of people to the rise in gas prices. Only time will tell if "Big Oil" will listen to the "small voices" that are screaming for relief.


Word count: 394

No comments: